History of St Andrew's School
The Church has provided for education in Hitchin since the eighteenth century and the school enjoys a link with tradition which dates back to that time.
Prior to 1969 St Andrew's School was situated near St. Mary’s Church and included children from the former Holy Saviour School which had been closed in 1954. The old site was then sold and a new school built in Benslow Lane.
St Andrew’s School is a Voluntary Aided Church of England School in the diocese of St Albans.
In addition to our daily collective worship at school, the whole school frequently walk down to Holy Saviour Church in Radcliffe Road where we join in celebrations and acts of worship. The services are led by Father Ian Todd, the vicar.
All parents are most welcome to join us in these simple services, in which the children give the readings and sing hymns they know and love. Father Todd speaks on an agreed theme, e.g. new beginnings, new life, Easter, Remembrance, Christmas, according to the time in the school year. Whilst the services have a Christian emphasis, Father Todd is very sensitive to the fact that our school family is made up of a variety of creeds. The children’s spiritual needs are well met during these services and throughout the year.
Click here to go to the Holy Saviour Church website